September 29, 2011

The Age of Magenta

This handed down flowy blouse is a big question mark for me. I love strange garments so its odd cut and sheerness wouldn’t be a problem. The problem is the „feedback” I got on it – namely that people think I’m older than my actual age when I wear this.

PICT0021cas

Everyone says we shouldn’t be concerned about the opinion of others. „Be yourself”, I've heard this so many times it sounds phony. Because the same people would then ask you to be yourself but… Look your best! Always! Look as young as you feel! You deserve it!

PICT0014cas

Uhm, what exactly is it that we deserve? Being constantly worried whether we’re perfect enough? Whether we bring out the best in our looks all the time?

I don’t think any woman deserves this. I have the right not to be beautiful, not to dress pretty, not to look my best. It’s tiring to bring the best out of ourselves in every little detail, and being tired is not fun.

PICT0010c2as

There are so many things I could strive for apart from looking this way or that. I would like to be a kinder person, a more patient person, a more generous person, I’d like to lose much of my selfishness, I’d like to smile more and be less defensive.

PICT0012cas

So next time people say I look 30 in this blouse and instead of feeling the whole world come tumbling down around me and seeing myself like a wicked harridan in my mind’s eye, I’ll try my best and be patient and generous and smile.

PICT0017cas

And I’ll tell them I’m actually 20.

:)


Wearing: blouse: handed down, jeans: Takko, shoes: Vagabond, hat: small shop at the local market

15 comments:

Loren said...

These are the same people that probably say 'Age is just a number!'
I think this blouse is really pretty, I love your magenta hat too.
I have a couple outfits like this, I call them my indulgent days. Sometimes I put things on that don't match, or aren't the most flattering, simply because I love them and want to wear them. And there is nothing wrong with that.

fashionforgiants said...

I don't actually think this blouse ages you at all, but then again, I totally support wearing whatever the heck you want when you want to wear it. You're absolutely right that it gets tiring trying to always wearing the most flattering/slimming/non-aging outfit every day. Sometimes you just want to be comfortable and happy. I support that one hundered percent.

Sarah said...

I have never been told I look 30, haha. Probably because I dress crazy. I don't think you do, but I guess I can imagine the thought process that would take people there.

BoulevarddelaMadeleine said...

Hmm, I have never been told I look older in an outfit. Usually I'm told I look too young. I even got carded at Walmart when purchasing a rated R movie(they thought I was 12.) Oh well..whatever.
I think your blouse looks fabulous and I don't think it ages you at all.
And I agree with you. Living up to other's expectations is exhausting. I wish people would just stop with their passive aggressive comments and let people be.
-Madeleine

Madeline Quaint said...

That's usually the case with me - people think I'm younger. So it's doubly shocking to get the opposite comments. :)

Madeline Quaint said...

Compared to the good people of Budapest, I do dress crazy. :D
We can be told we look 30 later on - like when we really are 30. And that's far away, right? :)

Madeline Quaint said...

Agreed, Gracey! :)

Madeline Quaint said...

Haha, too right! :)
It's good to indulge sometimes. :)

Jamillah said...

Bhahahahahahaha. I'm actually turning 30 next year. I sincerely hope the world doesn't come tumbling down on me, lol. I'm super excited to see 30 and I have constantly been the youngest one in my work place so I'm hoping the new decade will give me some clout! Don't be afraid of it! It's not scary at all :). People thinking that you're older also may mean that you just act more mature than you're age would lead people to believe.

Vanessa, Take only Memories said...

Super cute outfit! Love the hat! I don't think the blouse makes you look older. That is ridiculous!

Nikki said...

Hey girl, have you been eaten by a shark or what? I haven't heard of you in so long! I hope you are doing well. I'm having so much fun with the earrings you send me. They still have to make an appearance on my blog though, I'll do that ASAP!

I have a dress that makes people think older as well. But 30 ain't that old is it? I'd rather be mistaken for a 30 year old, than for a 14 year old, haha ^^ x

Dizzy Tea said...

oh the hat! beautiful color, i'm looking for something like that too. and that blouse makes you look graceful, not 10 years older.

and i know its pretty hard not to give a flying fuck about people's opinions - i am so very deffensive and can be offended from the littlest things. so i can see why it can be not pleasant to hear different thoughts about how you look. believe me, if i can manage to get over it, you sure can. people tend to say the easiest thing to express themselves, so its best that not taking them too seriously after all.

gaby said...

Love the color!!
I really like, your blog, I follow you :D
... maybe if you have time, you could visit my blog too, and if you like it, follow me back ;)
kisses!
http://modacapitalblog.com

Megan Mae said...

What a beautifully written post. And I like the top too. ;D I think it's great that you can put aside the traditional and embrace the top's silhouette. Not everyday must we strive to be tall/thin/hourglass. I don't think it makes you look older, people are silly.

Madeline Quaint said...

Thank you for your lovely comment Megan! I think so too, why should we always show off our best figure? It's more important to feel a true connection with our clothes.