April 15, 2012

Time Travel - 100 Years Old Open Houses

PICT0001cas



















Today was another great one for time travel. Apart from the 100 year old anniversary of the tragic loss of the Titanic, which I've learnt so much about this past week, this weekend another - not tragic at all - centenary event took place. We have a great programme initiative here in Budapest where every year for one weekend those houses that are a 100 years old that year, open their doors and host different events run by volunteers for anyone interested.

PICT0008cas




































Year after year I promise myself I'll immerse myself in the programmes, but always end up working at the weekend. This year however my friend Sophie hosted one of the programmes in a 100 year old house, so I really couldn't miss visiting at least her event!

PICT0018cas




































I really enjoyed walking around the house without any neighbours bothering me, and clicked away... Unfortunately my camera cannot deal very well with bad light conditions, but I like these little bit grainy pictures too. :)

PICT0096cas


PICT0050cas



PICT0051cas






















































































Sophie prepared a language quiz targeted on how different our language was a 100 years ago. It was fun to watch how much people enjoyed the questions and how interested they were in the right answers! Great job! :)

PICT0062cas
PICT0068cas PICT0004cas
























































The best thing about this huge architectural birthday celebration is that next year another lot of beautiful houses will celebrate their 100th, so we have the chance to see more and more of them, year after year!

PICT0103cas
PICT0135cas























































Finally, this is what this house looks like from the outside:

PICT0140cas



















And this is what I look like taking grainy pictures of myself in the mirror on the corridor: 

PICT0024cas



































Wearing: Promod trench and cardigan, thrifted bag, M&S jeans, 
scarf from an underpass, trusty old Docs for strolling around 
and walking through Elizabeth bridge afterwards!

4 comments:

Dizzy Tea said...

I just LOVE old houses. Art deco and nouveau periods were the best. Look at that staircase! And I have a slight fetish for old elevators too, they are beautiful.

ShyScout said...

I think the photos turned out well - grainy or not. I love old architecture - the staircase is beautiful - I agree with the comment below. That is so awesome that each year you have a program to celebrate 100 year old houses. The quiz your friend came up with does sound fun :]

Madeline Quaint said...

So glad you like the pictures! :)

Madeline Quaint said...

Thank you so much for your comment! Glad you like the idea, maybe you could visit one year! :)