May 30, 2011

Weekend Away - Slovakia

This impromptu holiday started with our Czech friends coming up with the idea to meet in the middle - in Slovakia. You might know that Hungary is not a very mountainous country, so going to the Lower Fatra mountains was a rare treat for city-living, flat-country me.
Urban girl goes to spend a few days "in the nature" as Hungarians would say. :)

Loving the plastic flowers.

If you plan to travel in Central-Eastern Europe, by train is definitely the best. You can sit back and relax in the dining car and watch the scenery go by as you're waiting for your lunch... Great!

I was aiming for the grafitti, but managed to capture my ring and my boyfriend's camera instead. :)

For avid stargazers the totally light-pollution free sky was amazing in the mountains. We had different entertainment the second night with the arrival of the longest storm I've ever experienced, watching sheet lightning fill the sky over and over again, and casting an electric blue light over the mountain range.


We rented a cottage in Terchová, a village which hosted the World Potato Dumplings Championships this weekend. Before you ask, that's not why we went there in the first place, but it was definitely a great occasion to get more familiar with local peculiarities. Apart from "halusky" (potato dumplings with ewe-cheese, yummy!) cooking championships, they also had sour milk-drinking (I wonder who came up with this and how many very sick contestants cursed them that evening), and speed eating of "halusky" as well.





















We had a great time with our friends, and had great conversations - if you're reading this, thank you for organising it all! :)

How wonderful is the local folk costume?
Trabant, the legendary car of the East, by picturesque pile of wood

Let me raise a glass to you, Dear Reader, for bearing with me while I recounted my weekend, I shall return soon with an outfit post, not to worry! :)

Kofola, a great soft drink resembling Coke, but less sweet and more spicy!

12 comments:

Sarah said...

Looks like fun! I seriously want to travel and see other parts of the world. It's killing me a little. Thank you for the photos. (:

Madeline Quaint said...

And thank you for reading! :)
It's so easy to travel once you're in Europe, you just get a train and in a few hours you're in another country. I can see it must be very different from the States travelwise... When you do come to Europe, I'd be happy to show you around in Budapest! :)

The Cat Hag said...

What a fabulous trip, I am loving your gorgeous photos!!

I love going out in nature once in a while since I am such a city girl as well hehe. ;)


xoxo,
Addie
The Cat Hag

Madeline Quaint said...

Thank you, Addie! :) Yeah, it's great to enjoy some greenery once in a while! :D

hivenn said...

This looks like fun! So pretty. x hivenn

Madeline Quaint said...

It was great, and the mountains are beautiful in Slovakia... :)

leannaburrows said...

ooh, this looks so fun! I am wanting to do some traveling around Europe sometime soon... I'll definitely be doing the train, that looks awesome!

Madeline Quaint said...

Absolutely! Interrail tickets allow you to travel anywhere in Europe within a set time limit - great to travel around and see a lot very comfortably.
Hope you're coming to Budapest too! :)

Titine Totoche said...

Hi!! Oooh so cool!!!

That's awesome, I wish I could do weekend travels to another country!! How long is the train ride??

Oh and gave u an award over at my blog whaha ;)

Madeline Quaint said...

Eeek, thank you for the award! :)

The train ride was 7 hours including waiting for a connection in Bratislava (Slovakia's capital). But even waiting is fun, we had time to find a lovely park and see some nice buildings in Bratislava too.

Living in Hungary definitely has disadvantages, but one huge advatage is being in the middle of Europe, within easy travel distance to a lot of gorgeous places. If only the wages were higher...! :D

dizzytea said...

Beautiful! I want to see the eastern Europe this year, by train. Photos made me crave for a trip!

Madeline Quaint said...

By train is definitely the best! International trains all have dining cars. :D