May 1, 2011

Hey Mama, Welcome to the 80s!

Phew, what a week! Lots of work done, less time for blogging though! Missed you! :)

The first Sunday of May is Mothers' Day in Hungary. It was terribly wet today, so we resorted to taking photos on the balcony. It's a small one, so my special guests in these pictures are my Mother's herbs. They are nice. Especially when eaten. :)


The strange lighting of the overcast sky had a very interesting effect on the pictures. Some of them really look like washed-out, oldschool 80s photos. I swear I didn't edit them. (Actually, the only editing I ever do is cropping. Even that takes ages for me. :)

 

This leather jacket was a great thrift find, I bought it when I owned nothing with an appropriately high waist to match. But I knew that they are about to return to the shelves, just like trouser-skirts, that I loved wearing as a child. :) The t-shirt and the necklace are quite old pieces and advertise my neverending loyalty to glasses.

The brands, if you're interested: 
leather jacket: thrifted, trouser-skirt and t-shirt: Zara, shoes: Vagabond, necklace: H&M

Bye, basil and parsley and all the rest!
Next time I might introduce you to my ginkgo tree. I'm sure you can't wait. :)

Oh, and while on the topic of plants - what did you think of Kate's wedding dress? When I started thinking about the symbolic plants of the United Kingdom appliquéed on it (thistle for Scotland, daffodil for Wales, rose for England and shamrock for Ireland), I couldn't help wondering if the Royals really symbolise Britain and was this event really a celebration of Britishness. What is Britishness anyway?

As someone who studied British Culture at university, for me the British Royals are the symbols of Britain, yes. But not the real, rather the cliché Britain. The one that is double-deckers, tea, porridge and queuing, guards in strange hats. The idea you have of Britain is a collection of these quirky things, the Royal Family among them. This wedding was a celebration of this clichéd Britishness, not the one that includes the real people of the country with their diverse ancestry and political backgrounds.

So, for me, the symbols on Kate's dress should have been these - double-deckers, tea, porridge and queuing people, as well as guards in strange hats. Wouldn't it have been more approriate? And just a little bit more original...?

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I actually like the dress. I just find it interesting to ponder symbols and what they stand for and where they appear. Especially if we're talking dresses...Of course it is pretty, but what does it mean?


Picture source: Independent.ie

15 comments:

veronika, tick tock vintage. said...

what a great skirt! i love the plaid.

i liked kate's dress a lot - it had a very vintage vibe, and as most people noted, reminded me of grace kelly.

Vicki said...

i kinda liked kates dress.. the uneven edge of the lace v neck kinda annoys me thou..

Leanna said...

I love your skirt! and the skirt is pretty awesome, too :)

Madeline Quaint said...

Veronika, nice to see you again!
I actually really like the dress too, I'm just wondering about meanings of symbols and such...

Vicki, hey! Yep, as I said, it's a lovely dress. It's the meaning of the event and the symbolic value of its accessories that I find quite interesting to analyse.

Leanna, thank you! :)

İpek said...

The moment I saw the dress, I thought about gorgeous Grace Kelly and her wedding dress. She was so beautiful and graceful and I guess that's what inspired the designer of Kate's dress. She was very pretty and lovely too. I don't know of her very much but she seems stylish in a basic way. Just, Grace rocked her dress and Kate looked like an echo of her.

Lea said...

I love all of the herbs. I have a balcony in my apartment and have been wanting a series of window baskets. I also love glasses--don't know why. I've been wearing them for so long, it's just how I feel comfortable now, I guess.

That jacket was such a lovely find :)

LyddieGal said...

your tee is so cute, but your jacket is really the star, it's so pretty!

Chic on the Cheap

Madeline Quaint said...

Hey Ipek! Thank you for your comment!
I think it's really a rare chance for us to analyse the details and context of a dress that appeared at an event seen by so many. I like looking behind a pretty dress and seeing the event that it appears in and looking at its details and wondering about British identity and what the dress symbolises in that context.

Madeline Quaint said...

Thanks for your comment Lea! Glasses are so much more comfortable than contacts... And have infinitely more character! :)

Hi Lyddie! Thank you! :)

Madeline Quaint said...

Thanks for your comment Lea! Glasses are so much more comfortable than contacts... And have infinitely more character! :)

Hi Lyddie! Thank you! :)

Lea said...

I love all of the herbs. I have a balcony in my apartment and have been wanting a series of window baskets. I also love glasses--don't know why. I've been wearing them for so long, it's just how I feel comfortable now, I guess.

That jacket was such a lovely find :)

İpek said...

The moment I saw the dress, I thought about gorgeous Grace Kelly and her wedding dress. She was so beautiful and graceful and I guess that's what inspired the designer of Kate's dress. She was very pretty and lovely too. I don't know of her very much but she seems stylish in a basic way. Just, Grace rocked her dress and Kate looked like an echo of her.

veronika, tick tock vintage. said...

what a great skirt! i love the plaid.

i liked kate's dress a lot - it had a very vintage vibe, and as most people noted, reminded me of grace kelly.

foodfashionandflow said...

I absolutely love your jacket and skirt! too cute!

http://foodfashionandflow.blogspot.com/

Madeline Quaint said...

Thank you! :)