May 25, 2011

Towel Day for Hitchhikers


Let me prepare you for a shocking fact: I'm not a trendsetter.


These are the first pair of skinny jeans I bought. Yep, I warned you!
I just didn't warm to them for ages, and when I tried them on, I felt my legs are turning numb they were so tight - even in that two minutes in the changing room.
But a few days ago - drumroll - I found these in Takko, which is a shop for 40-something mums and their preteens, usually located beside hypermarkets. I'm classy like that.
Anyway, the main thing is that they are really comfortable - maybe because of the 40-something mum fit. They were very cheap too - to fit the budget of 40-something mums.
And mine.


Don't I look like these cats?


Jeans: Takko, Trainers: Chinese shop, T-shirt: Zara, Cami: don't remember, 
Bracelets: H&M, Earrings: Brigitte Bijou

So where does the towel come into picture, you might ask? Right here.


Chic? No. Flattering? No. Trendy? Maybe, if you colour block it...
But it's dead useful, just read it in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. In this book Douglas Adams describes, among other very useful tips for space survival, how many things a towel can be useful for - May 25th, Towel Day, is the celebration of this wonderful and absolutely hilarious trilogy in five parts. (Here's the Wikipedia entry for more info on Towel Day - basically you need to carry a towel around. :) If you haven't read them, give the books a try, you won't regret it. Or watch the film - starring Zooey Deschanel as charming and funny as ever. Also, be aware that this trailer is not work appropriate - unless you don't mind laughing out loud behind your computer and having everyone stare at you.



Update: It looks like I'm off for the weekend to a possibly webless place, so sorry if I don't reply to your comments and don't check out your blogs in the meantime! Have a great weekend, lovely readers! :)

24 comments:

Kira said...

Those jeans look great on you! I just saw your comment on the pretty Leanna's blog. I thought you might like to know that I am doing a headband giveaway on mine with lots of pretty flower options involved :)

Titine Totoche said...

Hello Madeline!!
I really like your kitty shirt and how you've matched it with the shirt underneath! Also, I'm glad you found the perfect pair of skinny jeans that weren't torturing you. Oh and it's funny you mention towel day since I'd heard about it today in the radio, though I had no idea where it came from. The novel does sound interesting and funny!!

Hope you're doing well ;)
Bye!!

fashionforgiants said...

lol. Towel Day? Really? I'm embarrassed to admit I have never read that book, but I've always known I probably should. I'll have to stop by my used bookstore this weekend and pick it up.

Love the skinnies on you, btw. Great fit. You look adorable.

Leanna said...

I love that top! It's sooo cute. :)

I've got a few pairs of skinny jeans, but I bought super cheap ones and they don't fit quite right... perhaps I need to spend a bit more to get some that fit properly. haha. They have their pros for sure.. great for showing off shoes! :)

leannaburrows said...

Oooh my word Madeline... I think I just left a comment for you on someone else's blog! I had a bunch of tabs open with blogs to read and comment on, and yours was one of them, and I totally wrote a comment about how much I love your kitty shirt and about skinny jeans and posted it, but then I look again and it's not here.... so I'm thinking I posted it on someone else's blog by accident. The best part is that I've already closed all the tabs so I can't remember who I posted on. I'm sooo embarrassed right now. Ahh!
http://thevioletreaction.blogspot.com/

Madeline Quaint said...

No need to worry, I received an e-mail about it, so you actually wrote it here! :) Checked the spam folders of both Disqus and Blogger and it's not there, it might show up later... Anyway, relax. :)

You mentioned pondering buying more expensive jeans - my inspiration for getting these were the Levi's Curve ID numbers. Those were the first skinnies that at least fitted my bum. :) They cost too much for me though, so I gave them a pass, and now I'm glad I did, as these are much more comfortable. :)

Madeline Quaint said...

It's a fun day for a fun book. Be aware that this trilogy comes in 5 books though. :)
And thanks for the compliment! :)

Madeline Quaint said...

Hey Pau, I'm fine, thanks! :)
The book is really funny, the film as well, it's actually a good book-based film, if you don't feel like reading. :)

Madeline Quaint said...

Thank you, Kira, nice of you to tell me. :)

DizzyTea said...

I think these jeans are amazing! I bought mines from Tally Weijl during a sale and I want to wear them while sleeping. And congrats for finding such a good fit in Takko , sometimes you can find the craziest useful things in places like that. Us classy girls and our very classy stores, oh. (loved the t-shirt by the way.)

http://dizzytea.blogspot.com

Grit and Glamour said...

Your skinnies look great! I love wearing mine rolled too. With a big ol' heel, of course! Glad you found a pair that works.

Titine Totoche said...

Considering that it a 5 book series, I'll probably go for the movie hehe!!

Maya Chambers said...

the whole Hitchiker's Guide "trilogy" is one of my most favorite things EVER! have you ever found the original broadcast of the 70's radio show? So. Funn. Y.

Ergy Erg said...

Yayyayyay! Cat t-shirt!! :D
Thanks so much about letting me know about that movie, i just watched the first scene with The Circle Game, it was lovely! xxxxx

Madeline Quaint said...

I'm so glad you like the Strawberry Statement! One of my all time favourites, and it's absolutely forgotten for some reason... It's a genious film though! :)

Madeline Quaint said...

Yay, Maya, brilliant that it's one of your faves! I haven't listened to the radio series yet, but now that you reminded me, I shall look out for them! :)

Madeline Quaint said...

Vahni, thanks! I must try the jeans with heels too - endless possibilites ahead. :)

Madeline Quaint said...

Hehe, so you know Takko too. :) I actually quite like it for basics - the prices are unbeatable there, really.

Madeline Quaint said...

Yeah, start with the movie and see if you're interested in knowing what happens next... :)

Lyddiegal said...

I think you look great in those skinnies - far better than 40 something mums!

Madeline Quaint said...

Hehe, thank you, Lyddie, I'm doing my best... :D

Lea said...

I love skinny jeans! I swear, it took me a very very long time to jump on the trend too. Though it's not much of a trend anymore, since they're basically a go-to jean now. Now that I'm converted, I doubt I'll go back though. No more getting the bottoms of my jeans all wet when it rains! Yours look lovely on you :D

Love the happy shirt :)

Madeline Quaint said...

Thanks Lea, I'm still in the process of adjusting to skinnies but I have to admit I hate when my bell-bottoms get soaked with rain too - that's a new angle to love skinnies for. :)

leannaburrows said...

aw Kira, you're making me blush. haha :)