July 24, 2011

Ocean Waves Weave Tales

PICT0132cas

PICT0130cas

Running into the cold cold sea in England, feeling your skin protest and guarding your tummy as you know you will get a shock once that's submerged in the ocean, then feeling the first wave break on your body and enjoying the endorphins erupt with such an unexpected force that you laugh out loud and you cannot but wait for the next wave, and the next and the next... And you don't care about the cold of the air or of the sea anymore. Brilliant.

PICT0159cas

PICT0188cas

I loved the ocean and the long, sandy beaches and the secluded, secret ones, the constant sound of waves rushing towards you. I loved the two sunny days we had and all the others when a raincoat and a wooly hat were required to enjoy the beach fully. I loved the rugged coastline and the sheep, the English families huddled behind windbreaks and tucking into fish and chips with relish, the kids screaming for ice-cream even in icy wind and the shells and stones and the grains of sand in everything I wore.

PICT0511cas

PICT0246cas

PICT0555cas

I could go on and on posting gorgeous pictures of the ocean, but let me show you some other delights of Devon too.

PICT0326cas


PICT0306casPICT0289cas

The house we stayed in, with the most gorgeous English garden... Thank you for the hospitality Vanessa and John, my Boyfriend and me were so lucky to stay with you!

PICT0401cas

The streets of Appledore, which were such an unexpected gem to find, and reminded me so much of Burano.

PICT0418cas

The Green Man festival in Barnstaple, watching people enjoying parading through the town centre and then listening to great music and dancing in the streets.

PICT0518cas

I cannot wait for the wind and the rain, the sun and the sea to direct me back to Devon again.

Oh, and while I was away, I hope you enjoyed the wonderful guest posts my lovely guest bloggers provided - I surely did! I'm already inspired to ask you all about something else to blog about, I guess I'd need more holidays for that! :)
Thank you again Waves, Pau, Sarah and Kirstin!

23 comments:

ruthflo said...

Looks like a wonderful holiday! I might persuade my boyfriend down to the south coast for a holiday at some point :)
xx

www.flossyblossom.blogspot.com

Madeline Quaint said...

It's absolutely worth it, what a wonderful coastline!
I'd love to go to Scotland one day... Maybe next summer. :)

Vanessa, Take only Memories said...

Gorgeous photos! I wish I could go to the beach :)

Madeline Quaint said...

I know, I spend months and months pining for the sea every year... And I already want to go back. :)

Nikki said...

oh goodness, the english coasts are, to me, one of the prettiest in the world. The little villages there are all such gems. You lucky girl! I've been meaning to go to Brighton for ages and never got there. The nature is so beautiful along the shores of England! x

Sarah said...

Welcome home! Someday I will have the ability to spend a ton of time traveling to see the amazing places I only get photographs of. Also, not gonna lie, I get jealous of people who live on other continents because they are so much closer to so many different countries, hehe.

Mona said...

I really want to visit the UK, and these pictures just increased my longing for Europe even more! Also, the skirt or wrap you are wearing is beautiful :) This last picture is perfection, it really seems to capture the UK as I imagine it to be. How brilliant is that to be there during the Green Man festival? Looks like you had a blast!
http://summertimedreams.blogspot.com/

Madeline Quaint said...

It's absolutely beautiful there Nikki, you're right!

Madeline Quaint said...

I know, I'm so lucky to live in the middle of Europe and have so many different cultures around me, and I'm even more luckier to be able to travel.

I would be very very easy for you to find teaching jobs around here and see a lot of Europe - it would be a great project. :)

Madeline Quaint said...

Thank you Mona, Devon is indeed beautiful!
Oh, and I'm wearing a scarf as a skirt. :)

Caroline Ergyerg said...

It looks like you had the most amazing time! These photos are beautiful, i'd love to go visit Devon properly!! Glad to see you back too, shame i couldn't come meet you in London though :( xxxxx

Titine & Totoche said...

Oooh Madeline these pictures are so pretty, especially the one with the footprints, but most importantly I loved your writing!!! Such a beautiful description, though I don't know if I would be brave enough to get into the cold water hehe.

Fabrizia said...

Hi! I like this post so much, really great pics!
If you want come and visit my blog, and if you like, follow me!I'll be waiting for you!

http://cosamimetto.blogspot.com/

Madeline Quaint said...

Next time we'll meet, I'm sure! :)
Devon is such a beautiful corner of the world... Should get more publicity!

Madeline Quaint said...

It needs some courage in the beginning, but then you're hooked! It's such a high! :)

The Cat Hag said...

I am glad you had such a wonderful holiday!

Your photos make me yearn to sleep my days away on a sun-drenched beach, and to look at stars the whole night long. :)

And is that a sundial I am seeing in the last photo? So cool!


xoxo,
Addie
The Cat Hag

Madeline Quaint said...

Hmm, sounds good! It was much colder in England than to sleep on the beach though. :D
It is a sundial, yep. :)

The Waves said...

Great holiday photos! I'm glad you had such a good time!

Martina Plíhalová Sweney said...

or maybe it shouldn't :) the most wonderful places are those without any tourists :)

Martina Plíhalová Sweney said...

Madeline, I love those photos, the coast looks wonderful and reminds me of Ireland - I liked the Cliffs of Moher the best :)

Madeline Quaint said...

Thank you! :)

Madeline Quaint said...

Martina, hey, nice to see you! :)
I loved the Cliffs of Moher too... I really wish to revisit it, along with the Aran Islands...

Madeline Quaint said...

I guess the weather puts of quite a lot of people anyway. :)