July 3, 2011

The Little Black (and Cheap) Dress

PICT0204cas

This little black dress from H&M is the perfect blank canvas. I love the lenght, the simplicity, the price... But most of all, how utterly comfortable it is. It's flattering without showing too much skin or being constricting. I'm gonna wear this dress like half of the summer.

PICT0211cas

I love this jacket and I'm so happy to show it off to you in this summery ensemble - luckily the weather's quite cool these days. It's a traditional garment from Transylvania, beautifully handmade and to top it all, it's probably older than me.

PICT0214c2as

PICT0205cas

This next one is rather a stupid shot, but you can see how the lining of the jacket is made using two totally and absolutely different materials. Quaint, ha? That's why I love it!

PICT0197cas

I'd like to thank each and every one of you who left me nice comments and good advice about my poor back. It feels much better now - I swim a lot, do excercises and still sleep on the floor. (However horrid sleeping on the floor sounds, it's actually really comfortable.) Apart from the water taking out almost all the colour of my hair, which I don't really mind anyway, I'm happy about my progress. Thank you again for your kindness!

PICT0212c2as

And now for something completely different: If you use Chrome you might not be able to see Disqus comments, so cannot make any either... Please do not despair, and change to incongito mode, where everything will work (click on the wrench thing in the corner and choose opening a new page in incongnito mode). Really upsetting, I hope they work something out soon... I love reading your comments so anything that hinders you from writing is my enemy.
I'll keep stalking Disqus about it. In my scary dark sunglasses.


What I Wore: Dress: H&M, Jacket: Handed Down, Sandals: Handed Down, Earrings: C&A, Belt: I think my Mum made it, Sunglasses: I don't remember, Flowers (in hair) (just seen) (haha, I was always amused by the "just seen" thing in magazines): H&M.

34 comments:

Nikki said...

oh boy, I use chrome so i hope you can read this ^^ I love the dresses from H&M! I have a black dress from there too, that looks a bit like yours ^^ I love hwo you called it a "blank canvas" :) x

Madeline Quaint said...

Hey Nikki, maybe we have the same dress. :) It has a tiny pocket on the chest that you can't see here.

I'm glad you could see the comment form and leave a comment! I hope not too many people have this issue with Chrome I have... There were some writing to them about it on Twitter. Glad it doesn't affect you! :)

Have a great holiday! :)

Kirstin said...

Wow, such stunning details on that jacket!

Ruby Geentjens said...

It's such a lovely dress! And I also love the Jacket on it ^-^

xxx


http://www.themadtwins.blogspot.com

Madeline Quaint said...

It's amazing handywork, love it...

Madeline Quaint said...

Thanks Ruby, the dress is really worth buying if you pass an H&M, it's on sale. :)

Caroline Ergyerg said...

I really love that jacket! It's beautiful, i love all detailing and the slightly puffy sleeves! What a great find. xxx

Madeline Quaint said...

Some old Trasylvanian ladies still wear these jackets out on the streets, they look so beautiful. Worn with a big skirt they create a very flattering silhuette, even for a 70-year-old. :)

Titine & Totoche said...

Hi Madeline!! You're right, the dress and jacket are great! Especially the jacket, it's so cool it has two different linings hehe.

Glad to know your back is better, maybe you should buy a new mattress hehe, one of those that are orthopedic.

Bye!!

Kallie Feigenbaum said...

I love the detail on the dress, its such a nice black dress too.
PS I just realized you're from Budapest, thats where my family is from!

Isabella Batts said...

Hi Madeline,
I'm just catching myself up on your blog : ) Lovely posts as usual!
That jacket is fantastic! Sometimes I just want to live life in a black dress (I have the same one from H&M!) with red lips, red nails, and sunglasses. There is something just too cool about that look. You made it your own! Nice work!
xoxo
Isabella

Madeline Quaint said...

Haha, the lining makes the jacket really special. :)

Madeline Quaint said...

That's great that your family is from Budapest! Wow! Have you ever visited?

Madeline Quaint said...

Hey, so glad you found me again! I'm wondering how many thousands of girls will wear this same dress this summer! It will be fun to spot it all over the streets. :)
I stopped using GFC, but now I finally follow you through Bloglovin, so I won't lose your blog again! :)

Isabella said...

I love the photos on your blog!

http://thepileofstyle.blogspot.com/
follow each other? ;)

<3

Madeline Quaint said...

Thank you, Isabella!

ambre_mi said...

Such a cute jacket! :) Keep on swimming, it does so much good for your back.
xx Ambre

ambre_mi said...

Ah my comment got cut off. I wanted to say I like your blog, and if you would like, you can hop by mine some time :)
http://fashionfruitsalad.blogspot.com/

The Cat Hag said...

Awww that is the cutest cardigan!!!

And I love that the lining inside is different, such details always get me and make me more susceptible to buying them hehe. ;)


xoxo,
Addie
The Cat Hag

The Magpiegirl said...

Love your jacket!! :) x

Madeline Quaint said...

Thank you Vicki, and welcome back! :)

Madeline Quaint said...

I know, quirky details are the best - even more so if they're sort of hidden - just for the wearer. :)

Madeline Quaint said...

Thank you Ambre, sure I will!

Maya Chambers said...

That jacket is AMAAAZING. I would probably distract you with something shiny so I could steal it. But then I'd feel bad and give it back. Eventually...

Kallie Feigenbaum said...

No I haven't gone to visit yet. Possibly someday!
Also, the Zara dress from my most recent post is from last summer but I bought it at a sale during December.

Lea said...

I need a workhorse dress like that! It's not belted, just looks like that in the waist, right? Love the cute little pattern on your jacket.

foodfashionandflow said...

I love your dress and that jacket is the perfect touch! You look great!

http://foodfashionandflow.blogspot.com/

Madeline Quaint said...

Haha, Maya, I'd totally lend it you. If you DO give it back. Eventually. :)

Madeline Quaint said...

That's a belt, which is actualy so big on me it goes around my waist twice. :) But it's such a nice colour!

The jacket's pattern is typical Transylvanian, I love the small embroidered flowers they put on almost every item of clothing.

Madeline Quaint said...

Thank you, Darling! :)

Chloe said...

Great outfit I really like the sunglasses!
chloe-mia.blogspot.com

the girl never gets older said...

ahh, this jacket is to D.I.E. for! so unique and... just lovely! ♥ I adore your hairstyle too :)

Madeline Quaint said...

Thank you! :) Some traditional clothes are easily incorporated into modern style - I wish I had more pieces!

choir robe said...

According to you, you bought it cheaper than you expected. For me, it doesn't look like cheap. It's cute.