December 11, 2011

Double Glitter and More Colour

Two things to lift your spirits when it's cold outside and you're ill and need some cheering up.

glitter5
 
You might be surprised to find me painting my nails with glittery nail polish, as I'm really not the glitter type of girl. But when you're coughing your head off and missing the Christmas spirit, it works, believe me.

glitter1

I used two layers of a bluish nail polish already loaded with glitter, plus another golden one, with bigger glitter bits added.

Sorry for the poor pictures, my camera cannot deal with the amount of shine my nails emit.
To tell you the truth, me neither, I keep staring at my nails and turning them in the light.

glitter3

Taking pictures of my nails totally makes me feel like I'm 16, so just to be on the safe side, let me add a foolproof DIY as well that you can happily do even in bed, and to inject some colour into the winter gloom!

Take a simple black blazer (which you thrifted in the hope of maybe creating some outfits that are at least a bit grown-up and sleek). Choose some colourful buttons you have collected over the years (or bought a bottleful of them in Liberty when you were in London and felt a strong urge to get something that wasn't gonna hurt your budget but would still have Liberty patterns on).

glitter6

Cut off the black buttons and sew on the colourful ones, preferably with colourful thread. I chose bright pink, of course. When in doubt, choose the harshest colour available!

glitter4

I'm trying my best to cure myself and dare the cold to take some outfit pictures, preferably with my newly re-buttoned blazer, but till then, have a colourful and happy winter! :)

Stuff used: Essence Colour and Go nail polishes, Second hand blazer and Liberty buttons.

P.S.: I've created a Google+ profile, so if you're using Google+, look for Madeline Quaint!
I still haven't figured it all out. :)

25 comments:

Kira said...

I agree, Christmas time is the time for glitter. I don't do glitter any other time of the year.

wardrobe experience said...

fun nails! i think, christmas isn't the only time for glitter...
thanks for putting me on your blogroll - i added yours as well.

Sarah Stright said...

Ha, I love the "I'm not a glitter girl" comment because that's how I am... but right now? Yeah, I have glitter polish on too. I'm a new follower :) I'd love if you'd stop by my blog and say hi, and follow back if you're interested.
Sarah
http://comingunstitched.blogspot.com

Jo Fletcher said...

Yes yes yes! Glitter polish never fails to cheer me up!


x
Lost in the Haze

Sarah said...

I hope you feel better soon. And also, man, I wish I could paint my nails. Food service totally doesn't allow that, sadly.

StarletStarlet said...

They look super Madeline! I am such a sucker for pretty nail polishes but I am never the one that would use 'em. Because I can't! Feel better soon. I'm also trying to get over my cough.

Kassi said...

Ha! Your poor camera can't even handle the glitter! I love them though!

And let's just talk about this button idea for a sec. I love it. What a fun way to spruce up a basic piece!

http://theclosetintervention.blogspot.com/

Loren Cline said...

Multicolored buttons on a black blazer is perfect. I've never considered it before but it's pretty much awesome.

SkippySays said...

The nails are super fun! And the muti-colored buttons are adorable!!
www.saysskippy.blogspot.com

Rachel said...

Awe, I hope you feel better. Your nails rock! Mine are currently glittery as well.

So I haven't given up on you to do my banner! If you need any more info from me let me know! I can't wait to see what you come up with.

<3 Rachel

Jamillah said...

I LOVE THE BUTTONS!!! Can't wait to see you in it :)

Dizzy Tea said...

Wonder if I will ever be in to glitter... Loved the nail polish's color though, preety! x

Madeline Quaint said...

Me neither, but it was very welcome in this case! :)

Madeline Quaint said...

Thank you! :) I'm inspired by these glittery nails, so I'll see if I can inject more glitter into my life from now on. :D

Madeline Quaint said...

So December is when non-glitter girls get the chance to shine a little too. :)

Madeline Quaint said...

Thanks, I'm trying! Though having a wisdom tooth pulled out didn't help... Seems like it's a longer blog-break to come!

What a pity painting your nails is not allowed! You're having some time off in December though, aren't you? Maybe you could have a go and play with polishes. :)

Madeline Quaint said...

Aw, thank you! I'm trying to get better. :) Hope you get well soon too!

Madeline Quaint said...

Exchanging buttons is a great way to change the character of a coat - I did that before. This is the first time I did the multicolour version though. :)

Madeline Quaint said...

Thank you! :)

Madeline Quaint said...

Oh, thank you! I'm trying my best to get better and start working!

Madeline Quaint said...

Thank you Dear! :) Currently nursing a pulled out wisdom tooth after the cold was sort of finished, so I won't promise pictures soon... At least this was my last wisdom tooth! :)

Madeline Quaint said...

I know, I fell for the bluish-greenish colour too - then couldn't resist the extra glitter. Like when you know you should be reading analytical magazines but still buy the gossip mag instead. :)

Badtastetoasttoast said...

Aawww I love the coloured buttons on the blazer, so so cute! :D

BoulevarddelaMadeleine said...

I hope you feel better and hopefully gain some holiday cheer. But I have to say, those sparkly green nails just might be the remedy..huh!?!
Love the DIY project with buttons. I love collecting button especially vintage ones. I never thought about replacing the lackluster ones on a blazer with my fabulous vintage buttons. Too bad I can't even sew them on:( I try but it is always an epic fail.
-Madeleine

Vanessa, Take only Memories said...

Lovely nails! And Happy Birthday :) Mine was on the 16th...