March 3, 2012

Photographic Time Travel 1900-1910

fortepan_2787s


















There is something magical about old pictures, they really seem like special objects as they bring back a slice of life that’s long gone. Especially amateur, or family photos of old…

fortepan_6995s

































There’s and amazing website, Fortepan.hu, which collects amateur photographs from 1900 to 1990, which you can browse and enjoy and also share if you feel like it! The creators collected old negatives and slides, saved pictures from being lost forever. Luckily for us, one day they started to scan and publish them online for everyone to see. So now time travel really is possible for us! All we need is some free time to immerse yourself in the everyday life of the 20th century...

fortepan_9029s





























These pictures are from Fortepan too, from between 1900 and 1910. Looking through the pictures, (and let me warn you, you can get lost in this website for hours and hours...) I saw the past century come alive and felt instantly transported. It’s amazing to see how people weren’t any different from us a 100 years ago, really. You see laid back, smiling girls or clumsy ladies, ashamed of looking into the camera, or looking piercingly straight into it, stolen moments and carefully organised scenes.

fortepan_9317s

































Not only can you pan the history of 20th century Hungary through the eyes of everyday people, the evolution of fashion is also fascinating!

fortepan_9043s































Look at the pleating, the ruffles of the hat and the dainty but long necklace! Swoon!

fortepan_15144s




















What a wonderful little room, with the dressing table and pictures on the wall… Of course the fingerprint gives it extra charm!

fortepan_9448s



































Don’t you think these girls made their dresses themselves and they’re really proud of them? (Also, what’s up with the flying piano?)

fortepan_22043s


















I bet the Sartorialist wishes sometimes he could travel back in time and take some streetstyle pictures like this! These girls seem to walk with such confidence!

fortepan_13420s

























This wedding picture is so sweet… Just look out for the guest of honour, the dog. :D

fortepan_8988s





















This picture is my favourite of them all... Such happiness, such ease.
I've got new imaginary friends.

I could go on and on about each picture and choose more and more, every detail spins a whole story for me. So go on and visit Fortepan and have a browse. You can also read more about their project here!
I rather enjoy time travel, so you might see similar posts in the future. :)

28 comments:

ShyScout said...

These photographs are all so beautiful. Thank you for sharing this website. It is so fun to be transported back in time and see how others lived and dressed :]

fashionforgiants said...

This is an amazing website. That first picture is beyond wonderful. Thank you so much for sharing these pictures and I do hope you share other time traveling posts!

My Style Canvas said...

This is cool--thanks for posting this! I love the photo of the women on the couch and also the one of the four women strolling down the street.

Lyddiegal said...

Old photos are always so interesting to look at, and I sometimes wonder if in 100 years, the photos we take will be considered the way that these are. With everything high tech and digital, does that magical quality become lost forever?

Dizzy Tea said...

I just LOVE vintage photography. Sadly I don't personally own any photos from Victorian and Edwardian periods but these are so beautiful. (And, wtf the flying piano indeed.) I'd love to have these in my collection.

wardrobe experience said...

loooooove old pictures ... thanks for sharing.

http://wardrobexperience.blogspot.com

Sunjo said...

So in love with this website!! It's totally my kind of thing. I could spend forever on it, thanks for sharing. xo

Julie Lan said...

haha these pictures are nice!

Jess said...

The photos are great. The website is really cool.

Bad Taste Toast said...

Wow these photos are magical indeed! I love vintage pics too, one day I will dig out some of my grandma from my mum's basement ;)
Yes we should meet, a little Budapest blogger meet up so to say. I would be glad to do so :)

Ladyofashion said...

I am always inspired by period dress, images, etc. These are wonderful and definitely have magical elements in them.Makes me miss my costuming days. Enjoy your week! -xxoo

Sarah said...

I had a blast this weekend going to a bar called Circa 33 which is supposed to look like a prohibition-era establishment. It was awesome to check out the photos and see the way they had it set up. I tried absinthe for the first time, too. (:

Madeline Quaint said...

Glad you like them! :)

Madeline Quaint said...

So happy you like them this much! :)

Madeline Quaint said...

Yeah, I really like those two! :)

Madeline Quaint said...

Hmm, what makes me wonder is volume - maybe we take too many pictures to treasure them enough. Food for thought!

Madeline Quaint said...

I sometimes find some in second hand bookshops, I really like old portraits... Lovely objects too!

Madeline Quaint said...

You're welcome. :)

Madeline Quaint said...

Thanks!

Madeline Quaint said...

Thanks Jess!

Madeline Quaint said...

OK, I'll plan something! :)

Madeline Quaint said...

Thank you! Glad you like them!

Madeline Quaint said...

Ah, absinthe! It tastes nice, doesn't it? It's difficult to do the sugarcube-melting thing properly though! But we always try. :)

Caroline said...

Oh my gosh thanks so much for sharing these! I love old photos (one of my favourite things in the whole wide world :D), the first one is beautiful. Love the swimming costume one too! xxx

marianne m said...

One of the most beautiful posts i've seen lately thank you so so much for sharing them with us, such a beautiful collection of pictures, makes me want to travel back in time and yes i bet the sartorialist would kill to snap pics like those. i wonder if in 100 years people will be checking out pics of us and consider them vintage. however the charm of black and white pics, old furniture, handmade jewels and clothes cannot be restored.

Madeline Quaint said...

:)

Madeline Quaint said...

I'm sure our great-grandchildren will find us equally mysterious... Hard to imagine!

Hannah Wilson said...

These are so neat!!