August 20, 2011

Obsessions - Snow Globes

PICT0004cas

When travelling I often wish I could take photographs by just shutting my eyelids, capturing a scene without a clumsy camera. In a way, I do. I collect pictures from my travels which my subconscious stores for me, to surprise my unsuspecting mind with sometime later.

PICT0020cas

Memories of cherished places flood me sometimes when my mind is idle, when I'm not concentrating, when I'm sitting on a tram, queuing, washing dishes... These pictures are always unexpected and they bring a rush of feelings with them. I wouldn't describe them as nostalgia for the past, rather a sudden yearning to be in that other place again.

PICT0015cas

These emotional, evocative memories are just as precious to me as are the consciously treasured ones and share a characteristic with the snow globes I collect from the cities I'd visited - they bring back the essence of a place without actually capturing the likeness of it.

PICT0012cas

I think this is the feeling Wordsworth wrote about in his Daffodils.

PICT0028cas

For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude...

PICT0040cas
Snow globes I brought home or received throughout the years

10 comments:

JoniJames said...

They're wonderful Madeline! I can't believe I don't own a single one..but I've always loved them. Wouldn't it be magical to be able to have our very own houses we live in inside these mini bubble worlds? If I had the means or know how it's an idea I'd patent or actually make myself. Someday we'll be able to do this if it hasn't been invented already.

wardrobe experience said...

so lovely! snow globes...

http://wardrobexperience.blogspot.com

Madeline Quaint said...

I seem to remember there's an artist in Canada (?) who makes custom-ordered snow globes. I saw a documentary on it... People have ordered some really random stuff from her, much more random than their own houses!

Sarah said...

I know what you mean about wishing to photograph straight from memory and to avoid the medium of the camera. Anyway, the snowglobes are fun. I haven't even thought about one for... quite some time, honestly.

Madeline Quaint said...

They have such a calming effect on me. They're definitely worth a tought or two. :)

BoulevarddelaMadeleine said...

I have always been intrigued by snow globes. I find them so pretty and magical. Yet, I don't even own one. I think it is wonderful that you collect these special and treasure pieces. And I love the sentiment and value you place on them. Because it is a captured essence of a time and or place.
-Madeleine

Madeline Quaint said...

They are lovely things, aren't they? :)

Madeline Quaint said...

That sounds really beautiful, thank you! :)

Lyddiegal said...

awww, your globes are so pretty! It must be fun to hunt out the perfect one every time you travel to a new place.

Madeline Quaint said...

It's a great apropos to look through a good few souvenir shops. :) The globe I got from Bern, Switzerland I hunted for for days, as I couldn't find any! I was so happy when I saw this one hiding in a crammed little shop. :)