August 25, 2011

Bookends - Special Topics

PICT0010cas

The truth is I probably spend the same amount on books as on clothes. I'd love to share some of the books I read and like with you - my first go was the One-Minute Book Review in the sidebar, but I decided to try something different. How best to incorporate book reviews into a style blog? Hmm, dressing up inspired by the book in question didn't seem like a bad idea... So let's give it a try!

Here’s my first subject; Special Topics in Calamity Physics by Marisha Pessl, a book that I got browsing through my favourite second hand bookshop in Budapest, the Red Bus.

PICT0021cas

The book has nothing whatsoever to do with physics (luckily, I hasten to add, because then I wouldn’t understand much of it). It’s more a coming-of-age story, but one that’s infused with a dark murder mystery with a really unexpected twist.

The main character, Blue grows up travelling through the US with his academic father, listening to audiobooks and discussing modern philosophy, but when they settle down for her senior year and she makes the aquaintance of an intriguing teacher and a group of students she hangs out with, Blue’s life begins to change. First it only seems like she’s settling into the role of an everyday tormented teenager with boys and booze on her mind, but it turns out there are more secrets and lies around her than the ones she's spinning herself....

This book is more than what you’d expect – I never imagined the range of emotions I went through while reading it, especially towards the end. It’s definitely not a teenage romance, and you come to realise this while your uneasiness continues to grow page by page… As I read on I felt more and more darkness creeping into the story, that's why I accented my innocent, rosy dress with everything black. It’s just like when you think a book is going to be a cat, then it turns out to be a black leopard. Still elegant but much more ravenous. Then you’re caught on the adrenaline and unable to put the book down. I’ve warned you!

PICT0006ca2s
Wearing: Dress: Orsay, Belt and bracelets: H&M, Leggings: chinese shop, 
Shoes: Vagabond, Necklace: Handmade from beads from Ghana.


Read it if:

-       You like main characters who are clever and slightly sarcastic, and girls who stand up for themselves
-       You like characters who have their faults and follies, and dislike "good against bad" stories
-       You don’t mind if endings aren’t happy, just real
-       You enjoy murder mysteries with a difference
-       Especially if you’re prone to read the last page, as in this case it definitely won’t reveal the ending.

Favourite quote: 

"Remember what I've always said about truth, standing in a long black dress in the corner, feet together, head down?"
"She's the loneliest girl in the room."
"Precisely. Contrary to popular belief, no one wants anything to do with her. She's too depressing to be around. Trust me, everyone prefers to dance with something a little sexier,a little more comforting."

What do you think? Have you read this book? Would you? 
Would you like to read similar posts to this one? :)

14 comments:

Kirsten said...

I haven't read this, but it sounds good :) And I like the dress, very cute print :)

jess said...

It sounds like a great book and I love the cover.

fashionforgiants said...

I'm adding this to my list of books to find in my local secondhand bookstore!

Also, I wanted to ask you if you've read any Lorrie Moore? I think I love her.

DKD Designs said...

Sounds like an amazing book, I will look out for it!
Danielle / www.DKD-Designs.blogspot.com
xoxo

Sarah said...

Sounds interesting. I'll have to look into it when I finish Antes que anochezca in the next week or so. And yay, you're posting about books, too. We can be silly together.

Madeline Quaint said...

Thanks! :)

Madeline Quaint said...

It's a great cover isn't it?

Madeline Quaint said...

No I haven't. I'll have to look into her books! :)

Madeline Quaint said...

That's great! :)

Madeline Quaint said...

Definitely! :) You have no idea how long I've been working on this post, I was so unsure about how to do and what... :)

the girl never gets older said...

Hm, it sounds interesting, thanks for sharing! I'll try to find this book in Polish :>
you look lovely by the way, this dress is divine, and I completely adore your hair! ♥

Ronan Mckenzie said...

this is a really pretty dress :) and the book sounds good, although i'm more of a happy ending girl :P xxx

http://ronanronanronan.blogspot.com

Madeline Quaint said...

Thank you soooo much, Darling! :) I'm glad I got you interested. :)

Titine & Totoche said...

Yay! Books! (I know I'm a late to comment sorry!) Anywho books! with a matching outfit hehe.