August 3, 2011

It's the Buttons

PICT0059cas

I'm sure you remember how much I've praised the V&A in my previous post. Well, I got these buttons/bagdes there - they were designed by Yohji Yamamoto for the V&A as he had an exhibition there which unfortunately closed a few days before I visited. I couldn't see the exhibition but the museum shop was still full of little souvenirs connected to it, these fun badges among them. Figuring I would probably never be able to afford anything else by Yamamoto, I thought I'd get these badges for half a Pound each.

PICT0003cas

I'm a big fan on buttons/badges, they can transform a simple piece of clothing to something much cooler. My winter coat has huge lapels and I usually cram them with badges, prompting comments from random strangers like: "Are you a scout or what?". :P

PICT0072ca2s

I wore this ensemble to an exhibition opening and a party held by one of my friends, Sophie, and I was really happy to get a few compliments on it. I guess it's fine to keep stuff simple sometimes - most of my rather elaborate outfits fall into the "man-repelling" category. :)

PICT0073ca2s

Please disregard my belly. Thanks. :)

PICT0065ca2s

So what I wore: Yohji Yamamoto badges plus one from New Yorker, Takko jeans, 
second hand top, H&M bolero and shoes from a random boutique.

PICT0056c2as

I'm slowly but surely approaching my 50th blogpost which I aim to celebrate with a giveaway, so stay tuned! :)

22 comments:

Room Eleven said...

Love the buttons! Such a cute outfit.

I'm Ellie by the way... I discovered your blog whilst you were away in London :)

Lyddiegal said...

I used to be obsessed with buttons, i even bought a button maker so i could have any design i wanted. haha.

i love how you've clustered them on your great cardi, such a pretty color!

Joni James said...

very cute outfit! I'm an original button wearer from the late 70's. They instantly add a touch of "hip" especially on a black vest or blazer.

Sabrina Kwan said...

Love the colour of your shirt and it's paired great with a bright cardigan! The buttons are really cute too.

Sincerely,
Sabrina

The Waves said...

Cute badges! I used to wear badges a lot too, and then sort of forgot about them. I'm inspired to bring them back now. :) Btw, love the shoes!

fashionforgiants said...

I love this color combination and I've never been much into buttons, but you make me want to give it a shot. And those shoes are great - simple but still interesting!

Nikki said...

haha, I believe this is the first time I see you sporting jeans! yeah! and this pair is fab-u-lous! No wonder you got compliments on this outfit, haha ^^ When I was at the V&A, there was a exhibition about the style/wardrobe of Grace Kelly. It was soooooooo pretty! x

Madeline Quaint said...

Hey Ellie, welcome! :) And thank you! :)

Madeline Quaint said...

You know what, I've been planning to get a button maker for a while. :) I'd cover everything with buttons if I finally got one. :D

Madeline Quaint said...

They also draw people closer to you as they want to see the pictures better. A great conversation starter. :)

Madeline Quaint said...

Thank you, Sabrina!

Madeline Quaint said...

Yeah, do so, revisiting old accessories is fun. :)
You can't imagine how comfortable these shoes are! The wedge is made out of a very springy plastic, it's really easy to walk in.

Joni James said...

thanks for visiting Madeline! I think I found you via Violet Reaction's blog. I'm the one in Seattle she came to stay with. It was so much fun meeting her in real life! I love the choices of colors you use in your clothes.

Madeline Quaint said...

Thank you Gracey! These wedges are wonderfully comfy as well, so I try not to wear them out - they're quite old now, poor shoes!

Madeline Quaint said...

Actually these are my first pair of skinnies. It took me some time to get on the trend. :D

Madeline Quaint said...

Thank you, Joni! Glad we got in touch!

Vanessa, Take only Memories said...

That top is so pretty! Very Jane Austen.

Madeline Quaint said...

Hmm, I didn't think of that! :)

Kallie Feigenbaum said...

the buttons are so cute! i love that strangers ask you if you're a scout!

sara tee said...

i've always wanted to do that!

http://hiimsaratee.blogspot.com/

Madeline Quaint said...

You can count on random strangers to make the funniest comments about what you're wearing. :)

Madeline Quaint said...

Do what? :)