May 8, 2012

A Stroll in the Angiolina Park

PICT0104cas




































Most of the days I had the luck to spend by the Adriatic I just watched the sea, sitting on the rocky shore or wrapped up in blankets from the balcony... And went for long walks of course, on the Lungomare, a path that runs right by the sea.

PICT0070cas




































One of the things I fell for in the Opatija area is that it's seeped in history. It used to be the riviera of the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy, so there are plenty of gorgeous old buildings and signs of a multicultural history.

PICT0064cas



















I have to admit two of my favourite things to take pictures of are decay and cats.
Now, the Opatija Riviera has both, and in plenty!

PICT0124cas



















PICT0260cas



















PICT0434ca



















There's also a gorgeous park, the Angiolina, which is actually an arboretum with interesting plants from all over the globe. This is where I walked to on one of my days away in my beloved chequered dress, which you can't see I bundled up so much.:)

PICT0234cas




































(I love how my camera decided to focus on the stones in the foreground.)

PICT0236cas



















PICT0225cas




































This statue is one of my favourites ever. It's of Isadora Duncan, the celebrated dancer, who wrote in her diary that the Opatija palm trees influenced her fluid dance moves...

PICT0231cas



















Oh, James Joyce was here too of course, maybe visiting when he lived in Pula or Trieste, or both... Any Joyceans out there? :)

PICT0242cas



















Here's a link to Opatija's website where you can read more about the history and places in rather amusing English, if you're interested!

Outfit 1 - 
Promod skirt, H&M  top, C&A clip on earrings, Calzedonia tights, Vagabond shoes.
Outfit 2 - 
thrifted dress and jacket, Calzedonia tights, scarf bought in an underpass, Doc Martens.

32 comments:

Ladyofashion said...

I l

Badtastetoasttoast said...

Wow, it looks so lovely there! Really cool photos, I love the one of you looking at the lock on the door :)

Annie said...

Love that polka dot skirt! Such pretty pics, especially that last one of the flower :)

Annie
The Other Side of Gray

Giovanna Pacini said...

Great photos!! Love your jacket!

xx
Giovanna
www.oliveandanarrow.com

ShyScout said...

I REALLY want to visit now. It is so beautiful. I love old historical places with beautiful architecture. You look so pretty in both of the outfits you chose :]

Jessica said...

What lovely old buildings... the stories they could tell! love your polka dotted skirt!
xx

Catherine Summers said...

I love your polkadot skirt and the pink scarf with denim dress, Madeline...! The pictures of the park look so pretty, what a fabulous place!!

Catherine x
notdressedaslamb.com

LGreaves said...

Oooh, lovely photos! I love your polka dot skirt and pink scarf <3

Trendy Teal

Ola said...

lovely photos. great polka dot skirt.
If you have some time and would like, come by and see my blog :)
There is a lovely giveaway I'm having: http://www.stylesbyola.com/2012/05/pair-for-you.html

xxxo
ola
www.stylesbyola.com

Nikki || The Ginger Diaries said...

Croatia is on my to-visit list as well! I've heared it's great to explore the country with a camper =) on internet the Opatija area is discribed as "a riviera", sounds so exotic! x

gaby said...

The pics are amazing!! Love the first photo :)
xoxo

Lasalleariane said...

The first pic is so lovley, you look like a delicate flower, so romantic
Lovely pics, love the old building
Just wonderful

Ariane

Sarah said...

I feel like I'm taking mini tours in a lot of your posts and it's great! You have some lovely shots this time around. (: Are you missing your hair for warmth?

Patrycja Wiƛniewska said...

great photos! like your blog - i'm 100 follower!! ;>

http://ekstravagancja.blogspot.com/

Vanessa, Take only Memories said...

That skirt is adorable! Really pretty pictures.
And thank you so much for leaving such a sweet comment on my blog!

Dizzy Tea said...

I've read Dubliners and I really didn't enjoy it that much but everybody is telling me I should read Ulysses first - so no prejudice! This looks like a lovely lovely trip. xxx

pop champagne said...

these pictures are pretty, such nice scenery!

Madeline Quaint said...

Thank you, and thanks for bearing with my photographical diary and even liking it! :)

Madeline Quaint said...

Hehe, I'm always interested in rust, as you know. :D

Madeline Quaint said...

Thank you Annie!

Madeline Quaint said...

Oh, I'm so glad these pictures whetted your appetite for Croatia! :)

Madeline Quaint said...

Thank you! I'm sure they could tell some pretty interesting stories! :)

Madeline Quaint said...

Thank you! :)

Madeline Quaint said...

It indeed is! It used to be the Riviera of the Monarchy at the turn of the century! There are lots of people with campers, but staying in small pensions and b&bs, or renting a room from an old lady is also fun, if you prefer a shower in the morning! :)

Madeline Quaint said...

Thank you Gaby!

Madeline Quaint said...

That's so nice of you to say! :)

Madeline Quaint said...

No, not at all! :) Sunshine is more of an issue - I make sure the back of my neck is always covered, as it used to be when I had long hair, so I won't get sunstruck.

Madeline Quaint said...

Perfect, thank you! :)

Madeline Quaint said...

You're welcome, Vanessa! :)

Madeline Quaint said...

I much prefer Ulysses, but it's not an easy read! Listening to the audiobook and reading the book at the same time makes it much easier though. I dabbled in Finnegan's Wake too, but that's quite impossible to read as a real book! :D I still remember phrases from it though, it's beautiful language.

Madeline Quaint said...

Thanks Doll!

Aida said...

Gorgeous pics!!


http://placequotehere.blogspot.pt