June 9, 2011

Bazaar Times and Handmade Products


I’m a passionate advocate of buying handmade and buying local. Mostly because it’s so much more fun browsing stalls and talking to the designers and finding things that are truly original. New ideas always inspire me to think differently too.


Gozsdu Bazaar or Gouba, a weekly bazaar for handmade products here in Budapest is held in a string of adjoining courtyards, which I’m not very good at photographing, sorry! Believe me though that the setting is really nice and very atmospheric, calm and happy, while buzzing with creative energy.



Handmade chocolate! Yum!
What I wore: trousers: Zara, Blouse: Second hand, Shoes: Vagabond, You can't see my bag but it's from Clarks, Scarf: H&M, Necklace: Jeans Club, Earrings: DIY, Bracelets: H&M, and from a Lindt chocolate bunny. :)





















I could go on and on about why I support buying handmade, so I thought I would get some of the arguments together for those who aren't sure about buying from local designers and artists. 

So let's see, why buy handmade?



Invest in Ethical Produce

Many times when I buy mass-produced jewellery I can't help but wonder who assembled it and how much money they earnt with that painstaking work. If you buy directly from the maker, or from small local shops, you can be sure your money reaches the artist directly, or only one step removed. Phew, you can forget remorse and nightmares of child labour, while the artist gets all of their money, without the interference of big companies. Win-win!

Invest in Your Area

Buying something directly from the designer-maker is the best way of ensuring that only ethical labour went into the product, and that the materials were sourced in your area. What's more, your new possession probably didn't travel very far to get into your hands.

Whether the sellers are the designers themselves or a local shop owner, by buying their bags, dresses, earrings, you support your area to grow financially, as well as artistically.

Invest in Quality

Invest in handmade pieces lovingly assembled by the designer. At a market you can discuss how to care about your new acquisition and make a note of the designer’s details to ask for help if a seam is burst, or half an earring is lost. Building a personal connection with your newest acquisition makes it more valuable – treasuring what you buy, you take care of it better. Try to look at your clothes in a different light, after all, they could all be pieces of art! If half of your earring is lost, you might just throw it out. If it’s a handmade, one-of-a-kind piece, you can contact the maker to work out a way of saving it. Quality over quantity - well-loved, well-made pieces instead of mass-produced, almost worthless stuff. It's easy to choose!

Invest in Talent

Be proud to support young talent and if you like their work, help them making more art by buying their designs. Dare to be original in your purchases, your one-of-a-kind piece might become one of your most treasured possessions. Don’t you wish you could have bought one of Coco Chanel’s early designs? :)
Don’t hold back with praise if you see a design you like. As bloggers you know how much it means to be inspired by a comment, feedback is important for designers too. Even if you don’t buy anything, your opinion and support will matter for a young talent who might emerge as an influential artist – thanks partly to you!

Most importantly: enjoy browsing and shopping, enjoy your acquisitions, enjoy connecting and reconnecting with the designers!


20 comments:

Cookies said...

Oh, thank you soooo much :D

Lyddiegal said...

There is something so nice about having a unique item and knowing you are supporting a local artist -- and that chocolate looks so good!

Madeline Quaint said...

It was very nice! Especially the minty one! :)

Madeline Quaint said...

You're welcome! :)

ruthflo said...

There are lots of charity shops where I live and its a great feeling when you find something amazing through all the tat! Its a hard slog though and you have to be in the mood for it as most of it really is just junk!
xx

flossyblossom.blogspot.com

sarah clarke said...

What a fun place- I will put this on my list of things to do/see when I go back to Budapest! I love supporting local artists/charities as well and your top is beautiful!

Isabella Batts said...

Hi Madeline!

I just found your blog and I absolutely love it : )
Stylish, unique, creative, AND conscious about important issues - wonderful.
Thank you for your advice and lovely photos!

Sincerely,
Isabella
iiskuneiti.blogspot.com

Madeline Quaint said...

Imagine that most second hand shops in Budapest are "Angol" - meaning the clothes are from England. Many times the charity shop tags are still on them! How I'd love to meet the missing link between UK charity shops and Hungarian second hand shops! How the hell does donated UK stuff end up here?

Madeline Quaint said...

I'm glad it inspired you for your visit! :) A lovely weekend outing, and it's really not touristy at all.

Madeline Quaint said...

Thank you, Isabella, your comment means so much! It really made my day! :)

Titine Totoche said...

Hi Madeline!! This is a great post, in my country we also have lots of bazaars where people show all of their handmade objects, mostly jewelry. And we're actually very supportive of this industry, as you say, it's really cool not only to support locally but also the pieces are unique!

Oh and your outfit is so cool, I think it fits perfectly with the "bazaar" atmosphere!

:)

Lea said...

I really love this post because I wholly agree with all of the points you're making. Here in Portland, we have Farmers Markets and something called Saturday Market which is all handmade/artisan crafts and items. It's so much fun browsing around and interacting with people.

Aaah. Those chocolates look amazing :D

Madeline Quaint said...

Thank you, Dear! :) I'd love to visit a bazaar in Venezuela! I'm sure I'd buy up half the stuff. :D

Madeline Quaint said...

Thank you, Lea, so glad you can relate to what I write! Hearing about all these markets everywhere, I wanna go and visit each and every one! :)

Marisa Violeta said...

I really like to buy handmade products. They're always so orginal and have such a great quality. It's great the things you can find, specially the bags, I love handmade bags :)

Also, I looved your blouse, it's really pretty!

Madeline Quaint said...

If you love handmade bags, I hope you'll like what I'm planning to post next! :)

The Cat Hag said...

I always have such major hair envy whenever I read your posts sweetie! ♥

And the handmade chocolate looks so yummy, hehe I know I should be focusing on the other products at the market but the glutton in me is pretty uncontrollable. ;)


xoxo,
Addie
The Cat Hag

Madeline Quaint said...

Addie, thank you so much for the compliment! :)

The chocolates were soooo nice! As they don't have to keep for long, they're made fresh from fresh ingredients. The minty one tasted like a bunch of mint leaves, so fresh!

bestofbklyn said...

I love supporting local artists, too! This was a great post!

Madeline Quaint said...

I'm so glad you do so and you think so! :)